百万英镑英文版(PoundBankNote》马克吐温的《百万英

知识大全 2022-07-30 20:56www.worldometers.cn知识大全

The million pound bank note(马克吐温的《百万英镑》)课文翻译如下

It is the summer of 1903.Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet.Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note a man could survive a month in London.His brother Roderick doubts it.At this moment, they see a penniless young man wandering on the pavement outside their house.It is Henry Adams, an American businessman, who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.

旁白:1903年的夏天。一对年老又富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌。奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票在伦敦能活一个月。他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑。这时,他们看见一个身无分文的年轻人在房子外面的人行道上游荡。他叫亨利.亚当斯,一个美国商人,在伦敦迷了路,不知道该怎么办。

RODERICK: Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?

罗德里克:年轻人,请进来一会儿,好吗?

HENRY: Who? Me, sir?

亨 利:先生,你叫谁来呀?是叫我吗?

RODERICK: Yes, you.

罗德里克:是的,就是你。

OLIVER: Through the front door on your left.

奥利弗:从你左侧的前门进来。

HENRY: (A servant opens a door) Thanks.

亨 利:(仆人给他打开门)谢谢。

SERVANT: Good morning, sir. Would you please come in? Permit me to lead the way,sir

仆 人:早上好,先生,请进。先生,请让我来带路吧。

.OLIVER: (Henry enters) Thank you, James. That will be all.

奥利弗:(亨利走进来)谢谢你,詹姆斯,没你的事了

RODERICK: How do you do, Mr ... er ...?

罗德里克:你好,先生,你贵姓?

Adams. Henry Adams.

亨 利:亚当斯,亨利.亚当斯。

OLIVER: Come and sit down, Mr Adams

奥利弗:来,请坐,亚当斯先生。

HENRY: Thank you.

亨 利:谢谢。

RODERICK: You're an American?

罗德里克:你是美国人?

HENRY: That's right, from San Francisco.

亨 利:是的,从旧金山来。

RODERICK: How well do you know London?

罗德里克:你对伦敦熟悉吗?

HENRY: Not at all, it's my first trip here.

亨 利:一点儿也不熟,这是我第一次来伦敦。

RODERICK: I wonder, Mr Adams, if you'd mind us asking a few questions.

罗德里克:亚当斯先生,不知你是否介意我们问几个问题?

HENRY: Not at all. Go right ahead.

亨 利:不介意,请问吧。

RODERICK: May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?

罗德里克:可不可以问问,你在这个国家干点儿什么?你的计划又是什么呢?

HENRY: Well, I can't say that I have any plans. I'm hoping to find work.As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.

亨 利:嗯,谈不上有什么计划,我希望能找到工作。事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的。

OLIVER: How is that possible?

奥利弗:这怎么可能呢?

HENRY: Well, you see, back home I had my own boat.About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay ...(his eyes stare at what is left of the brother's dinner on table)

亨 利:嗯,你看,在美国的时候,我有我自己的船。大约一个月前,我开船驶出海湾……(他的眼睛盯着兄弟俩留在餐桌上的残羹剩菜上)。

OLIVER: Well, go on.

罗德里克:往下说呀。

HENRY: Oh, yes. Well, towards nightfall I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind.It was all my fault. I didn't know whether I could survive until morning.The next morning I'd just about given myself up for lost when I was spotted by a ship.

亨 利:哦,好的。嗯,傍晚时分我发现我被一阵大风刮到海上去了。这都是我的错。我不知道是否能活到早晨。第二天早上,我正感到绝望的时候,一艘海船发现了我。

OLIVER: And it was the ship that brought you to England.

罗德里克:正是那艘船把你带到了英国。

HENRY: Yes. The fact is that I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand,which accounts for my appearance.I went to the American embassy to seek help, but ...(The brothers smile at each other.)

亨 利:是的。事实上我靠做义工来顶替船费。这就是我为什么衣冠不整的原因了。我上美国大使馆求助,但是……(兄弟俩相顾而笑)。

RODERICK: Well, you mustn't worry about that. It's an advantage.

罗德里克:嗯,这一点你倒不必担心,这还是优点呢。

HENRY: I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.

亨 利:对不起,先生,你的话我没有听懂。

RODERICK: Tell us, Mr Adams, what sort of work did you do in America?

奥利弗:亚当斯先生,请你告诉我们,你在美国干哪个行当?

HENRY: I worked for a mining company.Could you offer me some kind of work here?

亨 利:我在一家矿业公司工作。你们能不能给我提供一份工作呢?

RODERICK: Patience, Mr Adams.

If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you have?

罗德里克:耐心点儿,亚当斯先生,如果你不介意,我能不能问问,你手头儿有多少钱?

HENRY: Well, to be honest, I have none.

亨 利:嗯,老实说,我一分钱都没有了。

OLIVER: (happily) What luck! Brother, what luck! (claps his hands together)

奥利弗:(高兴地)老兄,真走运!真有运气!(鼓起掌来)

HENRY: Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me!On the contrary, in fact. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny.(Henry stands up to leave) Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be on my way.

亨 利:嗯,这对你们来说可能是运气,但对我来说可不是。事实上,正好相反。如果你们认为这是一个笑话,我可不觉得很好笑。(亨利起身准备走)好了,请原谅,我想我该上路了。

RODERICK: Please don't go, Mr Adams.You mustn't think we don't care about you. Oliver, give him the letter.

罗德里克:亚当斯先生,请别走。你千万不要以为我们不在意你的感受。奥利弗,把信给他。

OLIVER: Yes, the letter. (gets it from a desk and gives it to Henry like a gift) The letter

奥利弗:是,那封信。(从桌上把信拿起来,像送礼品一样递给亨利)给你信。

HENRY: (taking it carefully) For me?

亨 利:(小心翼翼地接过信)是给我吗?

RODERICK: For you. (Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you mustn't open it.Not yet. You can't open it until two o'clock.

罗德里克:是给你的。(亨利要拆信)啊,别拆,你不要拆,现在不是时候,到两点钟你才能打开。

HENRY: Oh, this is silly

亨 利:噢,这真可笑。

RODERICK: Not silly. There's money in it. (calls to the servant) James?

罗德里克:这不可笑,这里边有钱呢。(叫仆人)詹姆斯?

HENRY: Oh, no. I don't want your charity. I just want an honest job.

亨 利:噢,不,我不需要你们的施舍,我只要一份老老实实的工作。

.RODERICK: We know you're hard-working.That's why we've given you the letter. James, show Mr Adams out.

罗德里克:我们知道你工作是很卖力的,这正是我们给你这封信的原因。詹姆斯,请送亚当斯先生出去。

OLIVER: Good luck, Mr Adams.

奥利弗:祝你好运,亚当斯先生。

HENRY: Well, why don't you explain what this is all about?

亨 利:嗯,怎么不给我讲讲,这究竟是什么回事呢?

RODERICK: You'll soon know. (looks at the clock) In exactly an hour and a half.

罗德里克:你很快就会明白的,(看看钟)一个半小时以后。

SERVANT: This way, sir.

仆 人:请这边走,先生。

RODERICK:Mr Adams, not until 2 o'clock. Promise?

罗德里克:亚当斯先生,两点钟以前不要拆信,答应吗?

HENRY: Promise. Goodbye

亨 利:答应,谢谢。再见!

Copyright © 2016-2025 www.worldometers.cn 全球网 版权所有 Power by

全球化,全球疫情,全球股市,全球新闻网,全球地图,全球通史,经济全球化,全球变暖,全球进化,